Friday, July 18, 2014

A Note on Mission Calls

Some of you may be wondering: Why in the world would Sarah choose to serve her mission in Sweden. To this I respond: I didn't choose, Heavenly Father chose for me.

What exactly do I mean by that? Well, I applied to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (in LDS lingo: I submitted my mission papers). After submitting everything, my papers were sent to Salt Lake City to Church Headquarters. Then, the Missionary Department processed my papers (and the papers of thousands of others). Next, my papers were submitted to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and the First Presidency and one of those 15 individuals decided where I should serve my mission through Divine Guidance. Essentially, the person is prompted by Heavenly Father through the Spirit as to where each missionary should serve.

So, I didn't choose to serve my mission in Sweden, Heavenly Father chose for me because He knows me better than I know me. He knows that there are people in Sweden that need me and people that I need. He has a plan for me, individually, in Sweden and I am excited to follow that plan.

For more clarification on mission calls and how they are assigned, please read or watch The Divine Call of a Missionary by Ronald A. Rasband.

LDS Lingo Defined:
The First Presidency: The highest governing body of the Church, including the President of the Church and two counselors that he selects.
The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: The second highest governing body of the Church. Much like the 12 Apostles appointed by Jesus Christ when He was on the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment